Friday 17 September 2021

Travis Cut - Protest And Politics

  


  If you were bored and you decided to dip into the Just Some Punk Songs archives, you're likely to discover some really cool music. If you're really lucky, you might click on something as good as Travis Cut's (https://www.facebook.com/TravisCutBand/) classic Another Dumb Punk Rock Song All About A Girl (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2014/02/travis-cut-another-dumb-punk-rock-song.html). A wonderful song from a London trio who were much beloved of the great John Peel and who're much missed on the UK punk scene. 

  But now, 19 years after calling it a day, they're back! Well, not really back, but they have just released a (sort of) new ep. 




  In Feb 2002, Travis Cut recorded their 3rd and final John Peel session.  A few weeks later they went back into the studio and recorded the same songs.  It was meant to be the first session for their 4th album.  That album never happened so instead, nearly 2 decades later; these songs are finally seeing the light of day with their own vinyl release.

  The ep is titled In Transit and it's available now from Brassneck Records on 2 limited vinyl colours (only 100 of each). https://brassneckrecords.bigcartel.com/product/travis-cut-in-transit-7-colour-vinyl 

  All 3 tracks are great and make me very sad indeed that their 4th album never came to fruition but at least we have a glimpse of what might have been. You can listen here :  https://brassneckrecords.bandcamp.com/album/in-transit

The obvious thing to do now would be to highlight the title track, In Transit. It's a wonderful song but I'm not going to post it below as also included on the ep is one of my all time favourite Travis Cut songs. This is Protest And Politics... 


 I know I make more enemies than friends
 The roads I choose always seem to be dead ends
 I’m the master of bad decision making
 I never read, the writing on the wall
 Will you stand by me of me or will you watch me fall.
 My heart is full, with what I care for
 It's fit to burst, that’s what it's there for
 I’m the master of bad decision making
 I never read, the writing on the wall
 Will you stand by me or will you watch me fall

 I would go out tonight
 But I haven’t got a cross to bear
 Just because we’re not singing, of protest and politics
 It doesn’t mean that we don’t care

 My life is full, of half read books
 Guessing games and misread looks
 I’m the master of bad decision making
 I never read, the writing on the wall
 Will you stand by me or will you watch me fall

 

No comments:

Post a Comment