Wednesday 3 November 2021

Swansea Sound - Rock N Roll Void

  


  If, like me, you're old enough to have been buying records back in the late '80's then it's quite possible you had a few indie tunes in your collection. Much beloved of the legendary John Peel, Talulah Gosh, Heavenly and Pooh Sticks were just a few of those exponents of jangly indie pop that I had vinyl releases by. Today I'm featuring a song from an upcoming album by a band that features members of all three of them. 

  Swansea Sound (https://www.facebook.com/swanseasound) are based in Swansea (unsurprisingly). They line up with Hue Williams (Pooh Sticks), Amelia Fletcher (Talulah Gosh, Heavenly & many more), Rob Pursey (Heavenly & many more) and Ian Button (who's also been in lots of other bands and is maybe best known as Wreckless Eric's live collaborator). 

  In recent times Amelia, Rob and Ian have been performing in The Catenary Wires (https://catenarywires.bandcamp.com/) but teamed up with Hue during lockdown and decided to produce some fast, loud, political indiepop. They've been drip feeding us a few singles over recent months which will lead up to the November 19th release of debut album Live At The Rum Puncheon. It'll be available on vinyl, cd and digital download and you can pre order here :  https://swanseasound.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-rum-puncheon-2


  I've been lucky enough to get an early listen to the album and it's definitely got some of my favourite songs by the band members since they were releasing classics such as Atta Girl, Bringing Up Baby and On Tape (to name just a few). Highlights include I Sold My Soul On eBay, The Pooh Sticks (a particular favourite which I'll play on next week's Just Some Punk Songs show) and Indies Of The World. It's an album that proves that not only is punk not dead, indie isn't dead too!

As well as the album, there's also a number of gigs planned : 

Friday 10th December - London, Rough Trade East
Friday 4th February - Bristol, Zed Alley Saturday 5th February - Newport, Le Pub Friday 18th February - St Leonards, The Piper Saturday 19th February - London, Hope and Anchor Friday 4th March - The Talleyrand, Manchester Saturday 5th March - UK, venue TBC

  The song I'm posting is the one that was recently accompanied by a video. It's "a two minute revision session to make sure you haven’t forgotten The Kinks, The Ramones and the brief explosion of noise pollution that was C86 pop." It's called Rock N Roll Void... 

Went to the Ramones

When I was thirteen

They’re the coolest thing

I had ever seen

Now I’m looking back

And wondering 

Was it them or was it me?

I heard the Kinks

When I was three

That is my earliest childhood memory

Now I’m trying to find that feeling

Was it them or was it me?

Rock n roll void 

Rock n roll void

Rock n roll void

I formed a band 

When I was sixteen

That was the best that I have ever been

Looking back 

I can’t help wondering 

Was that person really me?

Rock n roll void 

Rock n roll void

Rock n roll void


No comments:

Post a Comment