Saturday 16 June 2018

Morus - Codziennie

 

  Thanks to Paul Zapasnik for pointing me in the direction of Polish punk band Morus. They formed in 2012 in Warsaw and have undergone several name changes, released a couple of demos (2012 & 2016) and played numerous gigs (mainly squats and independent clubs in their native country). Now they've stepped things up a little with the release of their debut album.

  Titled Cialo Obce (it translates as foreign body), it's available from Rum Nation Records (Germany),  Unrest Records (Canada and Benelux), Iron Man Records (UK), Last Hour Records (USA) and Trujaca Fala (Poland). You can also find the digital version here :  https://morus23.bandcamp.com/album/cia-o-obce

  The music is angry and political but also poetic, it's fast and melodic and as frontwoman Nika says, "We put our hearts into it. It's honest, it's punk, the lyrics deal with important things, things that are difficult to deal with, stuff that hurts, rather sad and depressing..."

  Paul tells me that Nika is somewhat of a legend of the Polish punk scene. Also known as Dominika Domczyk, she was a member of Post Regiment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13vn5zDkN8E&t=9s) back in the 90's and she's also currently in a band called Pochwalone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHNIBY9-_KI)

  This is the opening track from the new album, this is titled Codziennie.....

codziennie


nie będę bić brawa 
kiedy wszyscy klaszczą 
nie będę stać prosto 
gdy wszyscy na baczność 

nie przyjmuję reguł 
narzuconych przez ten układ 
sama sobie będę wyznaczać prawa   

wolę skoczyć na sam dół 
spalić za sobą mosty 
niż walić głową w mur 
w poczuciu bezradności 

*** 
i’m not going to put my hands together 
when everybody applauds 
i’m not going to stand straight 
when everybody stands to attention 

i don’t accept the rules 
forced by this pact 
i’m going to mark out my laws myself 


i'd rather jump down to the bottom 
burn the bridges behind 
than knock my head against the wall 
feeling helpless


daily

I will not applaud 
when everyone applauds 
I will not stand straight 
when all the attention, 

do not accept the rules 
imposed by the system 
itself I will set the right   

will jump to the bottom 
to burn bridges 
than banging your head against a brick wall 
with a sense of helplessness 

*** 
and I'm not going to put my hands together 
when everybody applauds 
and I'm not going to stand straight 
when everybody stands this attention 

and do not accept the rules 
forced by this pact 
, and I'm going to mark out my laws myself 


, and I'd rather jump down to the bottom 
burn the bridges behind 
than knock my head against the wall 
feeling helpless


No comments:

Post a Comment