Friday 9 September 2022

The Medicine Dolls - Danger! Danger! Disco!

  


  Usually on Just Some Punk Songs I prefer to post new (or nearly new) releases in the hope I'll introduce you to something you may not have heard yet. Today's song though has been around for a couple of years but I'm sure it'll be new to many of you. As for those lucky enough to be familiar with it (and with the album it's taken from) I'm sure you won't mind covering old ground.

  The Medicine Dolls (https://www.facebook.com/themedicinedolls) are a post-punk, garage rock trio from Cape Town, South Africa. The line up of the band is Greg Allan (vocals/guitar), Bex Nicholas (Arabella) (bass) & I'm not sure who the new drummer is as Kai Von Fritschen has recently left to move to Amsterdam. They formed in 2016 and in 2020 released a debut album titled Filth And Wisdom. The reason I'm featuring a song from that album today is because it's finally getting a vinyl release from Johannesburg label Mongrel Records. Another reason is that I was asleep when the album originally came out and I didn't give it the exposure it deserves.


      So what does the album sound like? In a word, great! Comparisons are aplenty on the Bandcamp page; Velvet Underground, Cramps, The Doors, The 5.6.7.8’s & The Birthday Party all getting a mention. It's a sleazy concoction of the coolest genres. Punk, garage, surf, glam and rockabilly all feature in what's a very inventive and highly enjoyable treat. You can gorge yourselves here :  https://mongrelrecords1.bandcamp.com/album/filth-and-wisdom

  This track should see you stomping on your local dancefloor in your tightest leather outfit and your sharpest stilettoed boots. It's called Danger! Danger! Disco!

Ooh La La
She took a piss on the tracks, the train was lateDanger, danger discoShe gave one last fuck at a quarter to eightDanger! Danger! Disco!
Goodness gracious me, I caught a lessonDanger, danger disco!I wanted to die from second-guessingDanger! Danger! Disco!
She said ""Hey baby let's get fucked up""Danger, danger discoWith a kick to the teeth, she filled my cupDanger! Danger! Disco!
And I said I never met a girl like you beforeDanger, danger discoShe wants blood and she wants some moreDanger! Danger! Disco!

No comments:

Post a Comment