Friday 2 September 2022

The Prize - Fighting My Way Back

  


  I've been waiting for this beauty to drop.

  Some of you may remember that a couple of years ago I was mightily impressed by the debut ep by Melbourne 4 piece Mr. Teenage. I asked how does a new band get to be this good so quickly.  https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2020/11/mr-teenage-kids.html
 
  I suppose the answer is they had a very talented line up.

  Now 3 of that line up, Nadine Muller (vocals/drums), Carey Paterson (vocals/guitar) and Joseph Imfeld (guitar) are back with a new power pop/punk outfit called The Prize and they're every bit as promising as Mr. Teenage (probably even more so). Again from Melbourne and rounded out with Austin Haire (guitar) and Jack Kong (bass), they've also released a killer ep (which is a certainty to feature in the best of 2022 charts).


 
  The ep is titled Wrong Side Of Town and it sees the Bandcamp write up throwing around comparisons with the likes of The Nerves, Thin Lizzy, Flamin' Groovies, Ramones, Face To Face & The Divinyls. We'd already been treated to the title track and Easy Way out. Both modern day power pop classics that have had me recommending them to as many people as I can. Now the full ep is available from Anti Fade Records on 7" vinyl and digital download :  https://theprizemelbourne.bandcamp.com/album/wrong-side-of-town-ep 

  As you're hopefully already familiar (and in love) with the first 2 tracks, I'm going to highlight one of the "new" ones. This was a single in 1979 for Nuneaton quintet The Incredible Kidda Band (you can check out the original here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2E1b_4bXCo). This version retains the melody of the original but beefs up the sound a little. I really, really, really, really hope this band hangs around longer than Mr. Teenage.  

    This is called Fighting My Way Back...

No comments:

Post a Comment