Wednesday 4 November 2020

Mr. Teenage - Kids

  


  Oh come on Australia! You're just taking the piss now. I can't believe you've actually got so many awesome new punk bands, you must be importing them from somewhere. Every time I log onto my pc another one pops up online with a killer new release. 

  And today I'm getting all giddy over the debut ep by Melbourne garage punk/power pop 4 piece Mr. Teenage. They feature vocalist/bassist Nic Imfeld (who you may remember from Tyrannamen), his brother Joe Imfeld (guitar), Carey Patersen (guitar/vocals) and Nadine Muller (drums/vocals). They released a demo song last year which was produced by Dean Muller (Cosmic Psychos) and was titled Neighbourhood. It boded well and happily the ep delivers in spades on that early promise. 




  Titled Automatic Love, it kicks off with the title track and great though it is, in my opinion it's my least favourite on the ep (which goes to show how bloody good the ep is!). Next up we get a song that I'll play on this week's Just Some Punk Songs show. It's called Waste Of Time and it struts confidently along making my heart soar with it's majestic hooks. Then it's The Loser, a slower paced 60's influenced rock n roll delight. And then they wind things up with the song you'll find below. Be still my beating heart! 

  A quick shout out to Billy Gardener (Anti Fade Records founder plus Living Eyes, Ausmuteants, Smarts etc) who does a sterling job on production duties and contributes to Mr. Teenage getting me wanting to toss around comparisons with the legendary (and much missed) Exploding Hearts. You can get the ep here :  https://mrteenage.bandcamp.com/album/automatic-love

  You like riffs? Well hello my friend, step this way. Damn, how does a new band get to be this good this quickly? This is Kids... 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am in this band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you've released a very impressive ep, i look forward to hearing more

      Delete
  2. Billy is in Living Eyes not Hearts. Great review. Amount of good music coming out of Melbourne is sending me broke and I couldn't be happier baby

    ReplyDelete