Wednesday 22 May 2024

Celebration Summer - For Want Of

  


  Celebration Summer (https://www.facebook.com/CelebrationSummer) are a melodic punk band with gruff vocals from Washington DC who featured on this blog a couple of years ago :  https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2022/08/celebration-summer-fraud.html

You can check out their music here : https://celebrationsummer.bandcamp.com/

  They return today with their contribution to a compilation album from For Love Of Records titled Yesterday & Today: DC Does Dischord. It's the label's first ever release and what a way to kick things off. A lovingly compiled homage showcasing the dynamism & diversity of Washington DC label Dischord. 

  It boasts 27 bands putting their own unique spin on a bunch of classic tracks. It's available as a gatefold double vinyl LP with a portion of the proceeds to benefit We Are Family DC (wearefamilydc.org). You can indulge yourself on some great music here :  https://forloveofrecords.bandcamp.com/album/yesterday-today-dc-does-dischord

  One of the treasures plucked from the trove is this cover of a track featured of Rites Of Spring's 1985 S/T album. It's called For Want Of... 

I, I believed memory might mirror no reflections on meI, I believed that in forgetting I might set myself freeBut I woke up this morning with a piece of past caught in my throatAnd then I choked
I, I bled, I tried to hide the heart from the headAnd I, I said I bled in the arms of a girl I'd barely metBut I woke up this morning with the present in splinters on the groundAnd then I drowned
And if I can't see, it's for want of you
You said I see, if there's nothing here, then it's probably mineWell, my, my turn to see, if there's nothing here it'll always be mine, mineI woke up this morning with a piece of past caught in my throatAnd then I choked
I, I guess I've learned the taste of the days that will always burnI, I guess I've learned if it's in the corner of my eye, well I can always turn'Cause I woke up this morning with the present in splinters on the groundAnd then I drowned, yeah
And if I don't see, it's for want of you, you

No comments:

Post a Comment