Saturday 30 October 2021

Judy And The Jerks - Bloodstains

  


  It's that time of the year when we see the release of a number of interesting Halloween themed records. I featured one by Vista Blue earlier this week and today you're getting another. 

  No strangers to Just Some Punk Songs, Judy And The Jerks are from Hattiesburg, Mississippi, they're fronted by the aptly named (for this time of year) Julie Gore and fleshed out by Austin Griffith, Hampton Martin & Sarah Krock. Previous appearances on here have seen me describe them as "a female fronted off kilter buzzbomb of garage influenced punk fun" and "whacked out weirdos." I've called them "infectiously frantic" and described their music as "scuzzy garage goodness."  Happily some things never change. 

  Their new Halloween themed release is a 4 track ep titled Candy After Dark. It's available on cassette from Hampton Martin's Earth Girl Tapes.  The tape will be available for two shows in Atlanta during Halloween weekend and any that are left over will be available (along with the name your price digital download) here : https://judyandthejerks.bandcamp.com/album/candy-after-dark




  If you're a fan of the band then you may be interested in an earlier incarnation, featuring a couple of the members, called Baghead. UK label Richter Scale have just released their discography on a cassette and digital download (pic above) and you can get it here : https://richterscaleoxford.bandcamp.com/album/baghead-discography

  Back to Judy And The Jerks, the track I'm highlighting is a cover of a song by Agent Orange that featured on the 1981 album Living In Darkness. This is Bloodstains...

They can make things worse for me
Sometimes I'd rather die
They can tell me lots of things
But I can't see eye to eye
Well, I know they know the way I think
I know they always will
But someday I'm gonna change my mind
Sometimes I'd rather kill

Blood stains, speed kills
Fast cars, cheap thrills
Rich girls, fine wine
I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I'm lost my mind

Things seem so much different now
The scene has died away
I haven't got a steady job
And I've got no place to stay
Well, it's a futuristic modern world
But things aren't what they seem
Someday you'd better wake up
From this stupid fantasy

Come on, blood stains, speed kills
Fast cars, cheap thrills
Rich girls, fine wine
I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I'm lost my mind

Blood stains, speed kills
Fast cars, cheap thrills
Rich girls, fine wine
I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I'm lost my mind


No comments:

Post a Comment