Thursday 23 January 2020

Karkki & The Car Keys - Last Line



  If you've got a really good memory then you may remember back in May 2018 I posted a song from a demo by Finnish 5 piece Karkki & The Car Keys (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2018/05/karkki-car-keys-bankrobber-of-your.html). It was a very impressive hybrid of power pop and garage punk and bode well for future releases.

  And then, to be honest, they dropped off my radar so I missed their split cassette with Mystery Girls that they released early last year. Happily though, after being tipped off by drummer Jesse Gehlen, I'm now back in the loop and can report that they'll be releasing a new ep in May. It'll be available on 7" from Lempi & Sylvi Discs and titled Big Ball Of Fire. If the preview track is any indication, it'll be everything I hoped for from them. As well as Jesse on drums, the ep also features Karkki (vocals), Johanna (bass), Joel (lead guitar) and Pete (guitar) along with Atte (additional guitar). You can find more info on them here :   https://www.facebook.com/karkkiandthecarkeys/ and music here :   https://karkkiandthecarkeys.bandcamp.com/

  Kicking off with a first line that tips it's hat to one of power pop's greatest bands (The Exploding Hearts), this is a break up song with a great vocal performance complimented by some excellent guitar riffing and it's called Last Line...

I've heard all the rumors in town
that we are not together, somehow
you just forgot to tell me the news
and it’s understandable
when you got 10 things in your mind
I guess you don’t have time for mine
but I still need to see you
so I can tell you

we got some breaking up to do
this is the last line of our love story
we got some breaking up to do
this is the last line of our love story

well now it’s too late to cry foul
you knew that it could happen, somehow
everything would bite back
but the damage is done
oh you poor little thing that acted on a whim
and turned everything that’s gold to shit
when I told you

we got some breaking up to do
this is the last line of our love story
we got some breaking up to do
this is the last line of our love story


1 comment: