Thursday 30 January 2020

M80 - I Don't Like You !



  M80 are a hard hitting punk band from Oakland, California who recently released a 5 track demo ep titled Apathy. It's available on cassette (there were 50 copies on Nickleodeon orange but they quickly sold out though there may still be some of the 100 copies on Shrek green still available if you're quick.) and as a digital download :  https://m80sucks.bandcamp.com/album/apathy

  I suppose a lazy comparison would be with Amyl And The Sniffers but that's not an entirely accurate one. There are similarities, both bands have charismatic,aggressive front women. I could easily imagine M80's Aba bouncing around on stage singing Gacked On Anger or Go Fuck Yourself and I can certainly see her being a force of nature that has no problem enthralling a pogoing crowd but maybe the rest of the band hit slightly harder than The Sniffers? Forget the comparison and instead listen to their music.

  If you like what you hear (and I'm confident you will) then you can also check out what they sound like live here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3d5OAjSKI

  As for the ep, it's already been making waves. The title track berates non voters, there's a track that shares the same name as the band and just has just one line of lyrics... "I'M GONNA EXPLODE." There's a song about the shit we ingest ("Toxins Toxins...") and the opening track is about those that protect and serve just a little too over zealously. This is my pick of a very tasty bunch though, it's called I Don't Like You...

sometimes im good enough / sometimes im not
sometimes you ask consent / sometimes you don't
I do everything for you / I know I try
its taken a long time / to realize

I Dont / Like You
Bye / I Dont Like You !

sometimes you squeeze my neck / with your vice grip
sometimes I dream of poison / and arsenic
walk on egg shells around you / you're a raw nerve
so scared to face your trauma / no one deserves your drama

I Dont / Like You
Bye / I Dont Like You !


1 comment:

  1. finally arrived flecky mate..another great debut...:-)

    ReplyDelete