Sunday 20 February 2022

The Radio Buzzkills - I Want My Records Back (Guest Review By Ralph J Rivera)

  


  There's been plenty of great pop punk songs down the years with titles such as Ursula Finally Has Tits (The Queers), Tina's Got Telekinesis (The Jasons), Jeannie's Got A Problem With Her Uterus (Screeching Weasel) etc etc etc. Maybe a great new song title would be Ralphie's Got A New Laptop as occasional Just Some Punk Songs guest reviewer Ralph J Rivera has managed to sort out his pc problems and he's back today with a new recommendation for you all to check out...

  First off I have to say THANK YOU to Mr. Mick Fletcher for bearing with me as I waited for my new laptop to arrive and then set it up (20+ hours later!). Okay... How do I write a review of one of my favourite modern Pop Punk bands that I'm also really good friends with? I DON'T!!! I just tell you that whatever you've heard, whatever hype you've read - These guys deserve every bit of it.

  I remember when the first album "Get Fired" came out and I was totally floored by the speed and the catchiness they could write songs with. I REALLY hate to use this comparison but you remember when the first The Steinways album came out and EVERYONE went apeshit over that band? Well the Radio Buzzkills (https://www.facebook.com/theradiobuzzkills) take that kind of hype/greatness to the next level! Since then they put out one of the best Pop Punk albums of the 2020's in "Get Lost" and continued on a rampage until Covid slammed the brakes.

 They kept plowing on, recording when they could & even put out an EP in that time called "Get Bored". Plus a little split EP with some "Commie" band that I shall not mention LOL! But here we are in 2022 - Valentine's Day and this St. Louis powerhouse have dropped their statement to the world. "Get Even" is all that and more! https://prorawk.bandcamp.com/album/get-even

  Zac, Jenn, Gene and Bass Amp have easily written one of the most "mature" albums any snotty Pop Punk band could have. 14 songs of pure perfection. I'm really glad they're giving Jenn more lead vocals and her stand out song "I Fell For You" is an instant classic. I absolutely LOVE this band and I'm personally glad to call all of them my friends! You want my favourite song? If I didn't know better I'd swear Zac wrote this one for me! Here ya go - I Want My Records Back... 

No comments:

Post a Comment