Wednesday 21 April 2021

The Officials - Work

  


  I'd rather not work, but I need money to get by
 Gonna work work work work work work work work, work until the day we die

 Unfortunately, this is true :( 

  This is probably going to be one of those updates which has a few people commenting, "Why does the heading say The Officials - Work and not The Officials - Sleepwalking?"

  Which is a fair question as the new ep by The Officials is titled Sleepwalking and if I was reviewing the ep then it would be headed The Officials - Sleepwalking

  But as I often tell people, I don't do reviews. I just post a song that I like and say a few words to introduce it. I'll admit that by the time I've finished and added a link or two it might look like a review but it isn't. Honest. It's a recommendation. 

  And today I'm recommending you check out the new ep by anarchoi duo The Officials (https://www.facebook.com/TheOfficialsAnarchoi). The line up is Nath Haywire (from Southampton) who does the angry shouting (you may recognise his dulcet tones from Haywire, Armoured Flu Unit,  Distance and others) and John Copeland (from Vancouver, Washington) who plays guitar, bass and drums. 

  If this was a proper review I'd tell you that the title track kicks things off in style by telling us we're sleepwalking into a nightmare and that by the time we wake up, it'll be too late. We're not doing anywhere near enough to try and slow down climate change, we're resigned to our fate. WAKE UP! 

  The song I'm posting below is like the Pistols in Doc Martens and braces. It's rather catchy and will stick in your head. Next up is Scary Situation which has a D-Beat rhythm and barrels along with plenty of oomph. Lycanthropy (originally by GBH on their Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne album) brings proceedings to a satisfying conclusion and even borrows a famous quote from a Lon Chaney Jr classic for it's chorus; "Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright." 

  4 tracks, all very good and it may well get a vinyl release ("We are probably going to do a vinyl run of 100 copies, if we get enough requests for it."). For now though, you can get it from Bandcamp :  https://theofficials.bandcamp.com/album/sleepwalking 

  This is the song in the heading. It's called Work... 

 

1 comment: