Thursday 21 February 2019

The Glory - AWOL



  It's something of a mystery to me how Leicester oi/punk 5 piece The Glory are struggling a little to find promoters willing to book them. Equally a mystery why they aren't appearing back at this year's Rebellion Festival. They formed in the mid 80's and released one of the genre's best songs (Clockwork Land) but I suppose it's fair to say that was a long time ago and isn't a reason to book them to entertain today's punk crowds (although plenty in those crowds are more than receptive to a nostalgia trip). What is a reason to book them in 2019 is that unlike some bands, they're still releasing music that's as good as back in the day. Look no further than the song I featured in December (their first since 1988 : https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-glory-falling-down.html) and the equally impressive new one that's getting posted today. With more on the way promoters everywhere should be getting in touch.

  https://www.facebook.com/theglory.oi.uk/


  Featuring Mark Timson (vocals), Dean Riley (lead guitar), Steve Cracknell (rhythm guitar), Russ Emery (bass guitar) and Darrell Moore, they're a band with the happy knack of matching up gritty oi inspired punk beats with catchy as fuck melodies. Big, brash singalongs. Definitely a band I'm looking forward to hear more from as the year progresses.

  This song is a true tale of marital strife caused by being a touring musician, it's called AWOL...

well I packed my bags, booked a flight, off to USA see my mates lay down some tracks to tour around and play there was just one thing I had not done i hadn't told the wife, But i had the urge, felt the need to pack my bags and fly that night I sat down before i left, and this is what i said i'm a rock n roll singer,in an old Oi band cos i have it in my blood (He's a rock n roll singer,in an old Oi band cos it makes me feel good) I have to go and do this now Gotta get my things and head you useless tosser, you piece of shit Never again will see my bed Go out and make a fortune Don't think of coming home The locks are changed the doors are locked And don't you bother to phone I came back to a new sold sign Was hanging from my house, was it really worth it hell yeah, i'm punk and proud. But next time if i gonna leave the moral of my life Lace My Boots Run like hell Just Don't Tell The Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment