Thursday 7 February 2019

Higgins and The Magic of the Marketplace - Emily Goes To Public School...



  Another new band to me today but Higgins And The Magic Of The Marketplace is the solo project of  Litterbug bassist Andy Higgins. From Blackpool, he (with I think the aid of a drummer) recently released a debut album titled Dream Consumer Dream!  It's on Just Say No To Government Music on cd and yellow vinyl (ltd to 250 copies) and you can find it streaming here :   https://higginsandthemagicofthemarketplace.bandcamp.com/album/dream-consumer-dream

  It's 11 tracks of punk influenced alt rock, it's inventive and although they're not The Rolling Stones, The Beatles or Ramones, they're bloody good. If you're looking for something a little different then this may be it.

  This is the opening track, Emily Goes To Public School...

It’s a song about Emily 

Emily goes to Public School
Eton Rifles all the way
Britain follows her own rules
Repeat Repeat like Groundhog Day – day – day ….

Sarah’s sharing silent culture
I’ve got no fire in my wine
UK sensibilities unfolding
Buying privilege is fine – fine - fine

We looked around – Kept our feet on the ground
And I thought I’d seen everything
And I thought I’d seen everything

Now all the kids that went to public school
They’ve dismantled the welfare state
Privatised the air we are breathing
Finance war and finance hate – HATE – HATE – HATE

Music
D on G string
(V) F C F G x 2 (FG CG AG CG FG)
(M8) D G D G – DEGE – D ED
BREAK – D G - D A G D


1 comment: