Wednesday 4 August 2021

Chubby and the Gang - I Hate the Radio

    


  So I'll assume you all know of London 5 piece Chubby And The Gang (https://www.facebook.com/Chubbyandthegang/). 

  Maybe some of you first discovered them via this blog? Back in 2019 I first featured them on here when I enthused about stumbling upon a stunning new song called All Along The Uxbridge Road (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2019/06/chubby-and-gang-all-along-uxbridge-road.html). At that point the song wasn't even on Youtube so I had to stick it there myself (it's racked up a decent 3721 views despite an official video subsequently being released and making my upload redundant). The song was so good, it ended 2019 topping the annual Just Some Punk Songs end of year chart  https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2019/12/top-50-songs-of-2019.html 

  So I'm claiming this blog brought Chubby And The Gang to the masses! 

  Although in reality, they've morphed into one of this country's best bands because they're bloody brilliant. Their status as punk icons was confirmed with the release of debut album Speed Kills and that position is going to be solidified with the August 27th sophomore lp The Mutt's Nuts. Telling stories of modern London and "marinating speed and sick-of-it-all energy in a mixture of 50s pop sounds"  Charlie Manning Walker (aka Chubby Charles) and "The Gang" (Tom ‘Razor’ Hardwick, Meg Brooks Mills, Ethan Stahl and Joe McMahon) look to have another winner up their sleeves. 

  The release of a video yesterday means we've now heard 4 tracks from the album and you can stream them here (as well as pre order the vinyl, cd cassette & digital versions)  https://chubbyandthegang.bandcamp.com/album/the-mutts-nuts

  Possibly my favourite of the 4 tracks so far, this veers more towards the 50's pop sound of their musical spectrum. It's a naggingly beautiful mid tempo song called I Hate The Radio... 

Important talks we need to have. I sit and think of what to say. Stare at a lonely cup of tea. As speakers echo through the café. Melody, so soft. Makes it better? Not so much. After that day I always find those tunes repeating in my mind. Now all the violins and choirs don't sound the same. Every time I hear that beat, that tune once, “oh so sweet” I say. I hate the radio. They always play the songs we used to know. Hello heartbreak my old friend. It's been a while since I’ve seen your face. But you always stop to say hello. Same old time. Same old place. Now all the violins and choirs don't sound the same. And every time I hear that beat, that tune once, “oh so sweet” I say. I hate the radio. They always play the songs we used to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment