Sunday 4 July 2021

Kid Gulliver - I Started a Joke

    


  

  Anyone in the mood for something very catchy? Then read on...

  Kid Gulliver (https://www.facebook.com/kidgulliver/) are a power pop delight from Boston, Massachusetts who line up thus; Simone Berk (vocals/guitar), David Armilotti (guitars/vocals), Andy Excuse (bass) & Sandy Summer (drums). They released a debut Self Titled ep in 2014 and just seem to get better and better. The first time they ventured onto my radar was with last year's sublime Susie Survived Chemotherapy so I'm very happy that despite lockdown, this year has seen them more productive than ever. January saw a song called Beauty School Dropout and this was followed in April by another winner titled Boy In A Bubble. Both songs that smoothly insinuate themselves into your consciousness leaving you demanding more. And happily, more is what we've now got...




  Last month saw the release, on Red On Red Records, of a 4 track ep titled Gimme Some Go! For my money, the "hits" from the ep are Stupid Little Girl (a song that asks how can true love grow when he's on death row? and which reminds me of Blondie at their most sugar sweet) and their gorgeous version of a 1968 Bee Gees single which has been covered several times previously (my favourite before this being by Low). You can get the ep here : https://kidgulliver1.bandcamp.com/album/gimme-some-go-2

  This is I Started A Joke...

I started a joke Which started the whole world crying But I didn't see That the joke was on me, oh no I started to cry Which started the whole world laughing Oh, if I'd only seen That the joke was on me I looked at the skies Running my hands over my eyes And I fell out of bed Hurting my head from things that I'd said 'Til I finally died Which started the whole world living Oh, if I'd only seen That the joke was on me I looked at the skies Running my hands over my eyes And I fell out of bed Hurting my head from things that I'd said 'Til I finally died Which started the whole world living Oh, if I'd only seen That the joke was on me

1 comment: