Sunday 16 June 2019

The Derelicts - Life of Strife (Review By Kevin Patrick McGovern)



  When you notice Prostitutes frontman Kevin Patrick McGovern (https://theprostitutes1.bandcamp.com/) calling an a record "the album of the decade... catchy.  psychotic and filled with punk rawk rage. Five out of five stars" you tend to sit up and take notice. Not sitting on my laurels I asked him to review the answer and as he's an accommodating kinda guy he was only too happy to oblige.

  The album is out now on vinyl and cd from Digital Warfare Records and it features 5 new songs alongside a sprinkling of the best tracks from past 7" releases. You can get it here :     https://zekeyou.myshopify.com/collections/the-derelicts/products/life-of-strife-lp

  Over to Kevin....

The Derelicts – Life of Strife (Digital Warfare)

I Walk Alone


The first time I was introduced to the Derelicts was in the early 1990s. I was riding in the backseat of my friend’s car, a bunch of us were going to see a second run horror movie at the local budget theatre. We weren’t 21 yet and when the booze was in short supply we’d distract ourselves with random outings filled with diet pills, pain pills, and weed. Stoned out of my mind and artificially wide wake, I heard the menacing bass line that begins their scorching reinterpretation of “My Dads a Fucking Alcoholic” come ripping through the speakers. I was blown away by the incredible power and addictive venom of the band’s intense punk rock attack. Pure and wild, degenerated mayhem. I picked up their classic Misery Maker single on SubPop records shortly thereafter. I listened to it non stop for quite some time. I highly recommend all their past releases. Their mind blowing “Going Out of Style 86-90” CD on Empty Records had all of us degenerates hooked back in those days.

Wrong With This


The band was a destructive combination of raspy vocals, brutal guitar, and contagious rock n roll fury. Excessive simplicity with a rabid pulse. Punk rock for the punk rockers. Things happened and the band dissolved sometime in the mid 90s. A few years ago they started up again with Duane back on vocals and Neil on guitar, both from the original lineup. I was beyond stoked when I heard they had a new album coming out. It’s finally here and the Derelicts deliver on all levels. This thing burns with an intensity you just don’t find in modern music. Hyper guitar and manic vocals fuel the songs while leaving enough breathing room for gritty grooves and melody. A sinister combination of early 80s hardcore and dirty 70's punk. This record hits hard and never lets up. Available from Digital Warfare records. Vinyl supply limited.



Life Of Strife...

No comments:

Post a Comment