Wednesday 22 November 2017

Grim Deeds - Dead Inside


  It's not been the best of years for Californian solo artist Grim Deeds. He says 2017 has been painful and challenging but he also says that all the emotional turmoil has made for good songwriting inspiration. Between January and September he's hidden himself away in various classroms, garages and even his car where he's recorded the 31 songs that have now surfaced on his latest album, Do Not Mock Satan. The songs have had a therapeutic effect, they've given him a purpose. From talking to various people from the bands that appear on this blog, I know he's not the only one who's been struggling this year. There's been a few people struggling with work, family and life in general who have found solace in their music. It's been hard at times for them to find the time and motivation to carry on creating music but they've pressed on and I'd like to take the opportunity to let them know that there are people out there that are grateful for the chance to listen to the fruits of their labour.

  And before I get too mawkish, Do Not Mock Satan.... As I mentioned, it's a sprawling album, recorded during the course of the year and it's Grim responsible for pretty much everything although he does enlist the help of a few guests such as Marky Kobane, Maria Surfinbird, Cederick Forsberg and Brad Lipman. The songs are short, often quirky pop punk ditties.  If you've ventured across Grim's prolific output before you'll already know what to expect.

  You can find it here :

https://grimdeeds.bandcamp.com/album/do-not-mock-satan

  "The world has turned to grey as my spirit wastes away"...."and I wish I could be happy just like you and all your friends".... "though I try my best, I still walk around depressed." Even though 2017 hasn't been the best, even though the lyrics might be bleak, the music is still upbeat and lifts the spirits. Hopefully 2018 is a great year for all my punk friends. This is Dead Inside....


No comments:

Post a Comment