Sunday 28 July 2019

RISKEE & THE RIDICULE - Millwall Brick, Glasgow Kiss



  Forming in 2011, RISKEE & THE RIDICULE are a grime punk outfit from Ashford, Kent who's line up features Scott Picking (lead vocals/lyrics), Jimbo Aglony (guitars/vocals), Matt Verrell (drums/vocals/keyboards) and Jordan Mann (lead guitar/backing vocals). Fresh sounding and energetic they're a politically astute protest band with catchy tunes and intelligent lyrics. One of the comments in the chatroom when I played them on this week's show was "They're a bit like Sleaford Mods but not as bad" I'm assuming that was praise! To my grizzled old ears there's also hints of bands like Slaves, King Blues and even Carter USM. It's punk rock music for the current generation, it's very good. https://www.facebook.com/RiskeeandtheRidicule/

  Last month saw the release of new album Body Bag Your Scene. It's full of big catchy singalong choruses and despite the anger in many of the lyrics the music is very definitely upbeat. I've not had the pleasure of catching them live but I'm sure there'll be plenty of sweating and bouncing around going on. In the confines of your home it'll be more a case of "right, lets check out that lyric sheet." They're a band that make you shake your head in despair at the nostalgia punks who refuse to acknowledge the existence of any decent music released since they were at school back in the late 70's/early 80's. The album's on turquoise vinyl via Bomber Music   http://store.bombermusic.com/products/643576-riskee-the-ridicule-body-bag-your-scene and it's streaming here : https://riskeeandtheridicule.bandcamp.com/album/body-bag-your-scene-2019-2

  I could have pretty much chosen any of the songs to highlight but I'll go with Millwall Brick, Glasgow Kiss...

Chorus 
Like when a Millwall Brick meets a Glasgow Kiss. 
Like when a Glasgow Kiss, meets a Millwall Brick 
Like when a Millwall Brick meets a Glasgow Kiss. 
Like when a Glasgow Kiss, meets a Millwall Brick 


Verse 1 
They slander you and you keep coming back 
You pander to their perpetual attack 
You slam the views that you’ve got and they lack 
I guess the eyes in the back of your head have got your back 
You already know 
Like what you gonna give to a weapon that has already blown? 
Another bullet? Bro, get to stepping, feeling’s already gone 
You wanna do it? Give it a second. The seeds already down. Let them come now 
They’re gonna fall down! Like step in to the pit at your own risk 
You already know, you fall down you get picked up, you get pulled down you’re not alone 
There’s a safe space round here, it’s called the back and sides. Collide like trains or not, decide 

Chorus 

Verse 2 
Step off the tube at Camden - there’s a sea of CDs, in the palms of the hands of 20 road men M.C’s 
I don’t want to buy your mixtape, I’m walking...Jeez!. 
Which one of youse dropped the best album of 2019? 
‘It wasne me’. Well it was fucking one a yis! Disgusting! 
Thanks for confronting us, but on a serious note 
The longer the note, the more dread 
You’re making me walk faster than I normally tread 
I can’t knock them hustling, I can’t knock the hustle 
You might think them man crazy, but them man ain’t nuts at all 
They’ll eat you alive, Hannibal cannibal…”keep the change ya filthy animal!” 
This ain’t made for the faint-hearted, this ain’t made for the snakes, mate 
You can’t wipe the slate clean if the slate’s caked in hate, mate 
I’m a Silverback on steroids, twice the size of Grape Ape and I’ll beat on my chest until the earth shake




No comments:

Post a Comment