Monday 8 July 2019

Material Support - All Bosses Are Bastards (ABAB)



  A true story, which is just me venting so feel free to skip to the music but last November after 24 years working in the same place I decided I'd had enough of the daily 70 mile round trip (in a shitty car that was on it's last legs) so left and got a new job nearer home. I got rid of the car, bought a bike, felt fitter for it and didn't mind the job. Then as I was finishing for the weekend the boss announced that they were shutting the place down at the end of this month and relocating 120 miles away. Supposedly they love my work and the fact I've never had any time off and want me to stay with the company but a 240 mile commute without a car isn't really my idea of fun, especially for not much more than minimum wage. So now I have to find another local job within the next few weeks and after looking over the weekend it ain't going to be easy! With all that in mind, I can heartily sympathise with the sentiments behind today's song...

  Material Support last featured on here with their excellent Know Your Rights (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2017/12/material-support-know-your-rights.html) and their 2018 album Terror Prone Nation was one of last year's best releases so the news of a new ep was always going to be of interest. The ep is now out, it's titled Specter and it's available as a name your price download : https://materialsupport.bandcamp.com/album/specter-ep

  5 Filipina-fronted agit punk bangers dealing with subjects such as racist cops, exploitative bosses, racism, sexism and the The Amerikkkan Dream, it's both ferocious and politically astute. Get more info on the band here : https://www.facebook.com/materialsupport/

  This is the lead song and one I'm currently empathising with, it's called All Bosses Are Bastards (ABAB)...

ALL BOSSES ARE BASTARDS

9 to 5
10 to 6
12 to 12
8 to 8
I give you my labor, my blood, sweat, and tears
You don’t bother to pay me a living wage

ALL BOSSES ARE BASTARDS


No comments:

Post a Comment