Wednesday 17 June 2020

Toylettes - Appetit



  Another day, another band from Berlin...

  Toylettes are Lisa (vocals/keyboard/guitar), Alex (guitar/vocals/keyboard), Jalla (drums/vocals) and  Daniel (bass/vocals). They tag themselves as rumplepop which I have to be honest is a new one on me. When I featured them back in 2017 (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2017/08/toylettes-omi.html) I mentioned that they reminded me of Kleenex/Liliput and though that may be a lazy comparison it's one I'm sticking with. The music is catchy and a little off kilter and though the predominantly female vocals are German rather than Swiss they sound similar enough to these dodgy old English ears to make my comparison valid.

  They've just released a new album, it's titled Spätsommer im Luftkurort and though it's been delayed it's definitely worth the wait. 11 tracks and not a duffer amongst them. As with Gym Tonic (who I featured yesterday), keyboards play a big part in making Toylettes' sound so addictive. There's a definite playfulness on the album, they're a band that aren't afraid to throw in the odd squeal or whistle. It's an album you need in your life and luckily for you it's not only available on a cool looking green cassette, it's also "name your price" on Bandcamp....   https://toylettes.bandcamp.com/album/sp-tsommer-im-luftkurort

  I'd already decided to highlight this track when I noticed it was available on the No Way Back compilation that I mentioned yesterday. I think it's worth giving it another plug as it's for a very good cause : https://nowayback.bandcamp.com/releases

  This is Appetit...


No comments:

Post a Comment