Saturday 13 January 2018

Interview With Stuart Marsden (Wolf Bites Boy)



  Today's update is an interview with Wolf Bites Boy vocalist Stuart Marsden in which he chats about his upbringing, the origins of the band, the new split album with a band from Brazil, a new band member and some upcoming acoustic shows.

  I'm pretty sure most of you will have seen Wolf Bites Boy featured on here before but just in case here's links to their Facebook page and shop :

https://www.facebook.com/wbboi/

https://www.musicglue.com/wolf-bites-boy/shop


JUST SOME PUNK SONGS :

How did Wolf Bites Boy come about?
How did wolf bite boy come about?wlf bites boy come about?
  Ho did wolf bitesboy come about?
STUART MARSDEN :

 Well, Roblad (Rob Walker) and Paul (Hankey) had been talking about starting a music collective and asked if I'd be interested, after chatting a bit online we started sharing some old songs we recorded together back in the late 90's when we were in a band called Senseless. We decided to forget about the collective and look at rehearsing some of the old tracks, it then began to snowball very quickly with us making a couple of music videos and writing new material.

Stevie Boy





JSPS :

Where did the name wolf bites boy come from?
Where did the name wolf bites boy come from?

SM :

When Senseless split in early 2000 our bass player 'Fieldsy' wanted to carry on and asked if he could continue using the name and some of the songs, so when we started playing again in 2014 we wanted to come back with a different sound and a new name, we all threw about some names but one of Paul's ideas stuck and we all decided on Wolf Bites Boy

Back Street Kids







JSPS :

How would you describe your sound? Oi or street punk? Is there a difference between them?


SM :

It's not typically Oi but that's probably due to most people's perspective of what Oi should sound like, for me we have a sound that's got aspects of various different styles, from melodic sounding street punk to ska punk and some raw sounding Oi in the mix. There's not a great deal of difference between Oi and street punk except some people think street punk has a more melodic sound to it yet the founders of Oi all had a melodic sound

Wear Your Heart With Pride







JSPS :

What inspires you when writing songs? I notice many WBB songs are nostalgic looks back at days gone by

SM :

Yeah at lot of the tracks have been kind of nostalgic especially as me and Roblad have been mates for about 27 years we share a lot of the memories. Some songs are about the usual day to day struggles of the normal family man and then there's the odd one that you write about something personal that's affected your life in some way.

Fighting On






JSPS :

Were you a stereotypical back street kid, Dr Martens, gangs, music and football?


SM :

Yes, when I was growing up on the council estate that consisted of only 3 streets there were a group of skinhead lads and me and my mate Jase thought they were ace, my mum wouldn't let me have proper DM's until I was 8 so had to settle for monkey boots. I was a proper little shit as a kid and always ended up being taken home by the local bobby until I ended up in court and my mate ended up on the road to ruin with drugs, that was my wake up call, I've only been in trouble a couple of times since then. Music was always massive to me and my parents played a big role in what I listened to early on, dad was a big Bob Marley fan so that was always on until they split in 81, mum was a fan of some right crap like ABBA, but also some cool stuff like Slade and Bowie. I pissed the whole family when I turned up to their traditional team Stoke City and chose to support Port Vale after watching them beat Spurs back in the early '80's and still support them now!!!

I'll Be There For You





JSPS :

I've just looked for Port Vale on the map. Is it a fictional team like Melchester Rovers or that team arthur fowler supported in eastenders?

SM :

Hahaha as a Leeds United fan you've definitely heard of us, in fact our current manager came to us as a player from Leeds

What Do I Get





JSPS :

Your debut album Family Isn't Always Blood was my favourite of 2015. Not wanting to put you out of a job but I enjoyed the female vocals on What Do I Get? Who was the singer and is this something you'd do again? Also I think a Wbb ska ep would be great.

SM :

The female vocals were done by a lady called Sheena, she was a singer in a band that Paul was in, I was supposed to be sharing the vocals on the track but I didn't like the song so didn't do it. Sheena also did some vocals on the cd track Against The Grain and the Bob Marley cover, Running Away. I don't thnk it's something that we will do again but never say never.

99 Things To Do





JSPS :

It seems to have been a long time coming but you're gearing up for the release of a split album with Fibonattis. Tell me about that and about how a band from Stoke hooks up with one from Brazil.


SM :

Well Fibonattis contacted us on our Facebook page and asked if we'd be up for releasing some tracks with them. They sent some videos of what they'd already released which we all liked so we agreed. We then decided it would be good fun to record a cover track of each other. Fibonattis do a cover of our track Streets That I Call Home and we've covered their track Velhos Tapos, which translates to Old Rags and on translating the whole song it follows a similar vein to Streets. The CD has been released through The Firm Records in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

When We Were Young






JSPS :

Is it going to be released over here or do people have to order it from brazil?

SM :

The cd is available from our website musicglue/wolf-bites-boy as well as Fibonattis and The Firm Records in Brazil

Next Generation





JSPS :

You recently underwent a line up change?

SM :

Yes myself, Roblad and Rob Passey were feeling like Paul was taking over all decisions and not acting in the bands best interest, he would answer questions in interviews on our behalf without asking and decided a lot of things before bringing them to the table for discussion. We brought in an old friend of mine and Roblad's, Rick Wright. We'd been in bands with Rick since the early 90's and he even recorded a version of Rise Again with me and Roblad back in 2001.




JSPS :

What's next for WBB?

SM :

Next for WBB is that we plan on going back in the studio in the next few months and plan on recording an EP with the current line up, some songs are already written and some are actually lyrics given to us by other writers, we just arranged the music, plus there will be something different on there. We're looking forward to the next few gigs as we try an acoustic set to add a little diversity and playing in some new places with bands we haven't played with, like the Leicester gig in February with The Glory and loads of others.



JSPS :

Cheers Stuart


Velhos Trapos




No comments:

Post a Comment