Friday 13 July 2018

Bleakness - Frozen Refuge (Guest Review By Ashley Colman)

 

  It's been a while since anyone's done a guest review so when Ashley Colman recommended a new ep he'd just been sent I quickly asked him if he fancied reviewing it. The ep is by a French hardcore/post punk 3 piece called Bleakness who's members are Benj (drums), Nico (guitar/vocals) and Phab (bass). The ep is called Frozen Refuge and it's available (along with debut ep Ruined Fate) "name your price" on Bandcamp (link below).

  Here's what Ashley had to say....

   This came as a pleasant surprise from my cousin, who occasionally sends me stuff he thinks I might like. Bleakness are based in Nantes, France and members have played in numerous bands, which I confess I haven't heard of, but if they're as good as this offering, they may well be worth investigating.

  There are 4 tracks on this 12" with the opener Frozen Refuge being my favourite. Breakneck speed hardcore though not thankfully going into scream territory, with  some great guitar work. The other 3 tracks are fairly similar in style, as Maximum Rock n Roll say in their review, "Not going to make you feel better, but it might make you wanna rob a bank". Moreover, they do remind me of Copenhagen band War Goes On in places, which is some accolade? Thus, details can be found on Facebook, Bandcamp, and various labels in Spain, Germany and France, don't know any distros who have got it in blighty though?





No comments:

Post a Comment