Sunday 31 December 2023

Neon Kittens - TV As Eyes

  


  Happy Birthday Just Some Punk Songs! Somehow we've made it to 10 years old. 

  Born out of boredom on 31st December 2013, it's a blog (which also became a show) that right from day one decided everyone had heard of The Clash, Buzzcocks, Ramones etc so "lets find some new (and obscure not so new) stuff together." 

  The first post featured I'll Be Gone by The Oblivians (which was a great way to kick things off) and on the same day I also posted Alright by Radioactivity admitting "this could be a one off post or the start of something that virtually no one will see but might keep me amused." 


  Somehow, we're still going. 

  And today I'm featuring a trio from York called Neon Kittens. You may be familiar with them, they've not been around for too long but they're pretty prolific. You can check out their music here :  https://neonkittens.bandcamp.com/album/schrodingers-party-animal 

  They're a band that are unlikely to ever be part of the mainstream, they very much dance to their own beat. I think the lyrics to recent song Disco Ain't Dead sum them (and Just Some Punk Songs) up pretty well...

"Well, I am here! I'm alone in a crowded room No one dancing to the records I brought What is wrong with me? Is it me? They say yes! Who in their right mind would bring Butcher baby by the Plasmatics to this place? Disco ain't dead It just sounds like that"


  The song I'm featuring today was a free Xmas present from the band and from Australian label Metal Postcard Records. It's a cover of a track originally released in 1979 by Chrome on their 1979 album Half Machine Lip Moves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MnV4Uxf4SM). 


  I'm not sure how much longer this blog will last but as of today it's still featuring interesting and very good new music. This is TV As Eyes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment