Friday 1 November 2019

Shoplifters - Saved By The Bell


(photo by: Aleksandar Jovanović)
 
  I was cycling to work a couple of weeks ago (yeah, as usual it was raining) and I had Wayne Elliott's excellent Pulsebeat show ringing out from my headphones and was impressed by a mega catchy song with an earworm of a chorus that reminded me a little of an upbeat REM jamming with Husker Du. It was by a Serbian band from Novi Sad called Shoplifters and I'm pleased to say it wasn't the only great track on their recent album Secret Free World.

  The band featured Nenad (vocals/guitar), Vojin (guitar/vocals), Mladen (bass/vocals) and Ćato (drums/vocal) and they've been together for a few years now although they've just announced the departure of Mladen and are currently searching for a new bassist. Their previous album, A Fresh Start, came out back in 2013, their most recent ep, Forgiver, was 2017 but now they're back with more punchy, melodic punk tunes. Secret Free World's available on a number of labels PopKid Records (N America), Brassneck Records (UK), Waterslide Records (Japan), White Russian Records (Netherlands) and Bartolini Records (Spain) and you can find it streaming here :   https://shoplifters.bandcamp.com/album/secret-free-world

  They recently released a cool video for one of the songs on the album, When Travelling, that you should check out but I played that on the latest show and am sticking with the song Wayne played. This is Saved By The Bell...

Far from finished far from starting line
I beat my brains out, now I'm out of time
Friendly voices say don't worry
In the end you'll catch up, don't back down
I'm dropping out

Saved by the bell
One step forward
Saved by the bell
Two steps back

Feeling out of place and out of touch
I have got no legs for higher ground
Scary voices say don't worry
It's gonna be a long way to the top
I'm dropping out

Saved by the bell
One step forward
Saved by the bell
Two steps back



No comments:

Post a Comment