Saturday 14 September 2024

Gull House - Date Night In The West (Guest Review By Dirk Ceustermans)



Gull House - Date Night In The West

S/T EP (Pang Pang Records / Ronny Rex Records)


  The first single from the GULL HOUSE will soon be unleashed onto the hungry hoards of the OMFUG people. These are guys from Diest, a small town half an hour drive east from where I am (around Leuven, if you don't know this shitty town you don't drink Stella). 
Diest has been on the map with some special and extraordinary acts like ERO GURO and the solo project of ERO's bass player (Frankie Traandruppel) for example. From the ashes of ERO GURO and another band Coma Commander Gull House erected.
 
  Pang Pang announced without shame "The tight riffs from Ero Guro combined with the passionate vocals from Coma Commander will burn holes in your ears and hearts." 
And so it is, I was on the verge of calling in the fire brigades.
 
  I've been listening to the release 5 times in a row. From start I knew which song to pick, but after five times through these 5 wonderful songs it got harder to pick one.... Very hard!
But ok, Mick just wants one, so I go for the opening track: Date Night In The West. 

  This one can go on repeat for an hour or two. It's over too fast so the urge to repeat infinitely is high!
It's song about them wanting to go out west with the in-crowd from Leuven (being west from Diest), where all the Big Boys live :-)
But mainly this track wins the prize in my little brain because I love this kind of simplicity. 
I hear some Uranium Club mixed up with some cranky organ noise from PISSE and some 50/50 singing/parlando vocals too make it quirky as hell. Oh Egg Punk they call it now, right?

  I keep repeating it. Belgium has some very fine products under its belt the last 10 years. 
See ya next week.



Who said that I couldn't go out with the big boys
Big boys big boys
Who said that I couldn't go play with their big toys
Big toys big toys big toys
Who said I looked like a washed up cowboy

DSY your alibi

Who said my wife is a washed up cowgirl
He said your wife is a washed up cowgirl
I've got my eye on you buddy


No comments:

Post a Comment