Saturday 13 January 2024

Steve Colbourne - National Service (Guest Review By Paul Austin)

  


  If you enjoy discovering new music you may be familiar with Paul Austin's Facebook group New Music for punks/new wavers which aims to introduce people to new music that deserves an audience.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063450477170

  It's pretty much the same mission statement as this blog so I was happy when Paul got in touch to ask if he could send me his first ever attempt at "journalism." As far as new music recommendations go, it ain't half bad...

  I get sent a lot of new music to listen to so how do I sort out the stuff I like….well at the end of the day it all comes to personal taste…..mine are quite eclectic having lived through and experienced and enjoyed a variety of genres from punk, post punk, indie, brit pop and electronica.

 I was recently contacted by a singer/songwriter from the Nottingham area called Steve Colbourne, who pointed me in the direction of his album “Erysimum”  

  First thing that hit me was there are some great well constructed songs on there and pretty good production, which I find always helps during the initial listening experience. Musically it`s quite hard to pin down, lets just say it kept an old punk interested through most of the tracks with hints of New Model Army/Killing Joke and some heads down no nonsense punk rock and roll.

 The opening track “Red, White and Blue” has a propulsive bassline and a great guitar riff that sets the standard for the overall feel of the album with very few low points Standout tracks for me are the most “punky” tracks on the album called “National Service” and “Another Monday Morning” and the early Killing Joke…esque “Broken English” and the more brit pop tune “Genetically Lucky”. Overall a great listen.

  This is National Service...

No comments:

Post a Comment