Thursday 3 December 2020

Dark Ruby - Taking My Space (Guest Review By Billy Leeds)

      


  Thank you to Billy Leeds for recommending a band from his home city of Frankfurt...

  Formed in 2018, in Frankfurt am Main in Germany (where I live), Dark Ruby (https://www.facebook.com/darkruby) first came to my notice a year later - when they opened for my mates Elastic Waste. in a Frankfurt rock cellar. Here is what I wrote after the gig:

  ...first up were local band Dark Ruby, a melodic rock band, fronted by the lovely Valeska on vocals.
Their first song was their sound check (!) and after two false starts, they kicked into gear. Twin guitars and drums providing a powerful backing for Valeska to deliver her delightful vocals.
Not many people in the pub at the start, but some good applause and whoops for every song.
Halfway thru their set, the Liversedge Elastic Waste fans arrived! A lot of dancing ensued and loud applause and cheering for the last few Dark Ruby songs..
That inspired the band and they went into overdrive for those last four songs! They were called back by the crowd for (I think) two encores, which were well deserved!
Very happy vibe in the cellar and the first sweat was dripping off the walls!

  After that - a few more gigs for the band and then COVID closed the venues (!) - I know a lot of bands who just broke up cos of that shit....Dark Ruby, (who are Jens on drums, Steven and Andre on guitars and the moody and sometimes aggressive vocals from Valeska) however, used lockdown to write and record an excellent EP  "Cure" - and I am glad they did!

  Recorded mostly remotely, tho the drums were recorded in the band's rehearsal room. The production however is as good as most studio recordings - thanks to the skills of Dan Lucas from Anchor Baby Recording Co, who has done a fine job on this EP!

CURE - the review!

  First up is "Taking My Space" - starts off moody then BANG! Singer Valeska goes into sadistic riot gurrl mode!  "I'm your queen - I wanna hear you scream"!
Some excellent twin guitar interchanges and as always, rock solid drumming!  My favourite track on the EP, which is why I have added it as the track to accompany this review - absolutely wonderful!

  Next number is the title track "Cure" - jungle beat drums take us into a rather angry song, lyrically and musically!  Wall of sound guitars and absolutely amazing powerhouse drumming...and Valeska having a great rant on vocals! "I won't be your dirty little secret, I'm not your piece of shit" :O 

  Track 3 is probably the punkiest track on this EP  "Black Eyed Monster".  The "hit" of the EP...this one stays in your head and was a huge success on Mick's show last week, in the chatroom! It even has a guitar solo!!! Catchy chorus too!

  Last song on Cure is "Losing My Mind" that goes from melodic to rock, and lets Valeska explore her vocal capabilities. which she does very well! I hear shades of Maggie Bell and Cyndi Lauper as well as Valeska's own wonderful voice....

  Judge for yourselves  https://darkruby.bandcamp.com/releases   any money you can send will help much needed band funds, to release this as a CD - and record new songs. Thanks to Mick Fletcher for letting me promote this here

    This is Taking My Space... 

No comments:

Post a Comment