Thursday 20 September 2018

Small Gods - Resink

 

  Despite not being on the coast, the Hampshire town of Basingstoke is home to beach punk rock n roll band Small Gods. There's no waves in Basingstoke but there is a very decent "Surf" punk band. Their (I'm guessing) debut release was 2017's (name your price) Wake Up Dreaming ep, this was followed up a couple of months ago with the Last Wave ep. At the time of recording the band were a 3 piece (Jez, Ollie, Addy) and as well as being released digitally there was a limited edition transparent snot green cassette :  https://smallgods.bandcamp.com/album/last-wave

  You can get more info on them here :  https://www.facebook.com/smallgodsgaragepunk/

  Listening to Last Wave, I didn't really hear much in the way of surf punk. They certainly don't bring to my mind images of sunshine, bikini clad babes or crashing waves. Having said that, I suppose the title track does have a chorus that goes "riding the last wave..." even though it's more garage (with a Pixies vibe) than seaside to my grizzled old ears. But who cares, the songs are good and the band are well worth checking out.

  They've recently released a video (for the song I played on Tuesday's Just Some Punk Songs show). Pounding drums, urgent metronomicallity (if that's a word), passionate vocals. This is Resink... 

Choke,
I’m going to choke,
And I’m broke.

I keep it coming, I keep it coming,
Tic toc tic toc tic toc, no.
I keep it coming, I keep it coming,
Tic toc tic toc tic toc.

Choke,
I’m going to choke.
And it’s a joke.
And I’m broke.

I keep it coming, I keep it coming,
Tic toc tic toc tic toc, no.
I keep it coming, I keep it coming,
Tic toc tic toc tic toc,
I don’t want to watch the clock.




No comments:

Post a Comment