Monday 2 March 2020

Trash Knife - I Need



  I'm probably biased but I can honestly say that the listeners to the Just Some Punk Songs show have a great taste in music. They're pretty damn knowledgeable too which is why I wasn't in the least bit surprised when the chatroom folk went wild when I played a song by Trash Knife (https://www.facebook.com/trashknife/) on this week's show. Hopefully you, dear reader, will go wild too.

  If you're unfamiliar with the band, Trash Knife are Lauren McFadden (vocals), Sean Byrne (guitar), Laura Nunzi (bass), Mat Lutchman (drums) & Steve Firth (guitar). They're also a powerful hardcore/garage punk band from Philadelphia who've released a couple of really good eps. Some bright spark at FDH Records had an idea that combining both eps onto a vinyl lp would be a winner and they were right. It makes for one hell of an album and as a cherry on the top they've chucked in an unreleased track. It's a track that's so good that one of those chatroom folk is going to buy the album even though he already owns both eps. The vinyl isn't out till May but the digital version is streaming now :
https://fdhrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ep-ep

  They remind me a little of bands like Neighborhood Brats and Trampoline Team. They're a band that I used to describe as female fronted punk but as the term female fronted seems to be frowned upon in many circles nowadays I'll just say they're a ferocious punk band fronted by someone called Lauren! There's plenty of energy and the songs are heavy without being too heavy. Catchy without sacrificing bite. On several tracks there's a synth and it's definitely a welcome addition. My favourite tracks are probably FDR, Kill Your Selfie and this one. It's called I Need...

No comments:

Post a Comment