Saturday 19 June 2021

Shannon & The Clams - Year Of The Spider

 


  I've got to be honest and admit that not everything Oakland band Shannon & The Clams (https://www.facebook.com/shanandtheclams) release connects with me. I'm a punk guy. But when the stars align and I fall for one of their songs, I usually fall big time. Today I'm posting one of those songs. 

  Fronted by bassist Shannon Shaw and also featuring Cody Blanchard (vocals/guitar), Nate Mahan (drums) & Will Sprott (vocals/keyboards), they're influenced by a wide range of genres including doo-wop, classic R&B, garage psych, surf, 60's girl group & 80's punk. I first came across Shannon when I was listening to Hunx And His Punx (this being a particular favourite song  https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2014/01/hunx-his-punx-you-think-youre-tough.html) and I've dipped in and out of her music ever since. 

  There's a new album on the way, it's titled Year Of The Spider and it's out on Easy Eye Sound on August 20th. You can pre order it on various formats (golden silk coloured vinyl, cd, cassette, test pressing) here : http://shannonandtheclams.com/ and there's a teaser track streaming on Bandcamp : 

  A throwback to an era long gone and featuring a bravura vocal performance, this is the video for the album's title track. It's called Year Of The Spider... 

Back in May I had a funny feelin’ That's when Bad News called me on the phone He said, "The one you love, he needs a doctor" There were signs, I should have known Bad News came to my window And offered me advice And he whispered in my ear All the words I wasn't ready to hear "It's the year of the spider" I went home to hold my old friend’s hands but There wasn't hardly anything there When I wasn't looking they had crumbled Leaving our time worn web bare Bad News came to my window And offered me advice And he whispered in my ear All the words I wasn't ready to hear "It's the year of the spider" (year of the spider) I know that change is good But it hurts, and it is frightful But you really gotta shake that tree And see all that it leaves It’s the year of the spider (year of the spider)

No comments:

Post a Comment