Sunday 15 November 2020

Bruce - Next Time (Guest Review By Dirk Ceustermans)

    


  Dirk returns today to make sure you all know about a repackaging of a couple of albums into one handy 21 track treat by one of his favourite bands. Bruce (https://www.facebook.com/BRUCEPUNK/) are another cool Belgian garage punk band and have members from Aarschot and Bilzen. They're no strangers to this blog but the album is a thing of beauty and deserves a little more exposure :  https://brucepunk.bandcamp.com/album/captain-weve-lost-bruce-my-latest-popstar-crush




  BRUCE released their 2 latest CD releases together on 1 lp a month ago, so time to put this band in the spotlight again. This lp, release initially at a 100 copies run, contains all songs from their short and blistering CD releases: "Captain, we've lost Bruce" (2019) & "My latest Popstar Crush" (2017)
As I am typing this now, I just found out they did a second press already, these records sell like a proper good Belgian beer here and rightfully so!




  I chose "Next Time" to introduce this band's release as this song has a bit of history. 
Could've chosen a tougher track, but hey nothing wrong with a ..er love song?
The track appeared for the first time on a compilation of Belgian 60's inspired bands back in 1987, when some members of BRUCE were in a band called the Leftovers.
This version gave it the fantastic Bruce makeover, however this time without the ever present wah wah guitar lead, reminiscent of their inspirators, the mighty Cosmic Psychos. 
As a matter of fact, if these guys were Australian, they'd be BIG!

  This is Next Time... 

 when I saw you walking in my room
 wondering why I was counting all those years
 and still I feel like hell
 You're dressed up for going out in town
 It doesn't bother me
 a night alone won't mess me up
 but still I feel like hell
 next time you can try another lie
 next time you can find another guy

No comments:

Post a Comment