Sunday 1 November 2020

Bratakus - My Girlfriend Is A Witch

    


  They've previously featured on here several times but if you've not been paying attention, Bratakus (https://www.facebook.com/Bratakus/) are Onnagh Cuinn, Breagha Cuinn and A. Drum Machine. They're a vegan, riot grrrl punk band from the north of Scotland. If you have been paying attention you'll know they love Halloween. 

  They love it so much that they release an annual Halloween single. In 2017 we got Ghouls To The Front, 2018 Ghoul Power and 2019 Ghouls Just Wanna Have Fun. This year I was confident we'd be getting another so left a space for it on the playlist of this week's Just Some Punk Songs Show (UK Special). They didn't disappoint. 

  It's titled Ghoul Gang and features a couple of new horror themed songs. The first begins with a soundbite from the classic tv series Bewitched. It's from the episode I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha and sees Samantha Stephens, played by Elizabeth Montgomery, admitting to her new husband; "I am a witch. A real house-haunting, broom-riding, cauldron-stirring witch." Then, as with most Bratakus songs, things get loud and shouty. 

  The other track is inspired by Carrie, the classic Stephen King movie in which the titular character's religious nutjob of a mother lectures her daughter on how the first sin was intercourse and how the Lord visited Eve with The Curse Of Blood. 


  This is My Girlfriend Is A Witch... 

Riding high Leaving trails of smoke across the sky On a broom Glad that I am safe within my room I know my girlfriend is a witch Spells fill the air I think I hear footsteps on my stair Coming near Her thoughts are telling me that she's here I know my girlfriend is a witch What a fate A worshiper of magic for a date But tonight I become a warlock out of spite I know my girlfriend is a witch

No comments:

Post a Comment