Tuesday 22 September 2020

Randy Smith selects his favourite protest songs from 2000 onwards (part 4)

  


  Rebel Time Records' Randy Smith selects another of his favourite recent political/protest songs... 

  THE FALLOUT - Talkin' Punk Rock Civil War

  The first time I saw The Fallout was at the release show for their 2004 CD "Turning Money Into Revolution." I was wearing an F.U.s t-shirt that featured a picture of Ronald Reagan holding a pistol, Clint Eastwood style. The F.U.s had courted a bit of controversy, via MRR, for their supposed patriotic lyrics. Personally, I viewed the lyrics as sarcastic, and, having had the band (in their Straw Dogs incarnation) stay at my place a couple of times and chatting about it all only served to confirm that.

  Anyways, I have a distinct memory of two members of the band eyeballing me and the shirt and laughing with each other. A little unnerving ... were they laughing at me or with me? Were they laughing at the shirt or at my expense? I still don't know. But, I'm very proud to have been able to work with ( and have some laughs with ) The Fallout over the past few years, having had a hand in releases on both Insurgence Records and Rebel Time Records.

  One reviewer noted: "These guys write catchy songs that are tailor made for you to shout along with. The music is powerful and aggressive but also fun to listen to. And that’s the way it ought to be. If a song is going to inspire people, it has to be inspiring. Songs like “Red Light Union” and “Raise Your Flag” will have you fired up to run through a brick wall for the cause! This is “street” punk in the truest sense of the term – music for the people that is relevant to what’s actually happening on our streets." From another reviwer: "The Fallout make you wanna get up, dance and then go and do nasty but well-deserved things to animal abusers / fascists / cops while happily humming one of their delightful ditties." For me personally, like Moral Crux, pretty much a perfect band.

  An important song for me personally and a song I come back to often. It serves somewhat as a 'daily affirmation - a 'positive reminder or statement that can be used to encourage and motivate yourself / myself.' I'm basically 60, and for 40 years my life has revolved, in great part, around punk rock, politics and 'action,' in its various forms. I'm getting old, I'm getting tired, my knees are shot, I'm getting really grumpy and at times its tempting to say 'fuck it' and go sit on the porch and rest on my laurels, spending my time looking back in introspection (or anger) remembering the good old days. But, songs like this ( and other songs on this album such as "Action Today" and "Another Way" ) put a little 'pep in my step'. I may not make it out to a lot of demos or actions these days, but, yep, goldarnit, there are still new and inspiring bands and songs that need to be heard, via Rebel Time Records and there is still a diaper load of old (and hopefully still inspirational) political documentation and history that needs to be preserved, scanned and uploaded via the Arm The Spirit and Dragonfly archives. The fact that I can do this work whilst ensconced in my Lazy Boy Recliner is just a plus ... 'take it easy, but take it' ...

  As singer / guitarist Byron noted: "A lot of punk is about making changes. Songs about political action and anarchy. But getting wasted at the Warped Tour isn’t going to bring about the revolution anytime soon. Chant-along working class hymns don’t create change. At most we’re bringing awareness to social issues. So this song is hopefully encouraging folks to get out there, get involved in their communities and start making the kinds of changes punk rockers are always singing about. Real changes are being made by real people everyday at union halls, the United Way, Canadian Blood Services, the Daily Bread Food Bank. The jocks who think it’s cool to slam the hardest on the dance floor just don’t get it, that’s not revolution.

  The song is written in talkin’ blues style like the old folk singers because Bob Dylan, the icon of all protest singers, is just as guilty of a lot of talk but little action. And The Fallout are no different either. We’re busy making music, booking shows and recording while trying not to go broke. We’ve played a lot of benefit shows, we’ve attended various protests, but have we affected any real change? It’s not about being cynical, but being honest about what it really means to be a punk."

  And: "It’s sometimes easy to think that music is a catalyst for change. This song is about being honest and accepting the fact that real change comes from people who take action. It’s about lifestyle choices that are in harmony with our communities. I participate in protests, I’m active in my trade union and I’m a regular blood donor. It’s about doing whatever you can do to impact your community in a positive way."






Please don't get excited cause I'm not keeping score
Of the chances you've blown and opportunities ignored
To help the ones you love and say you care for
While you talk righteously all about it

And it ain't getting better in fact it's getting worse
Poor are getting poorer the meek inheriting the earth
While here in the America's we're still giving birth
To the notion we're all created equal

Now I don't think you understand what you're fighting for
Our music, poetry and politics don't lead to a cure
We need more than talkin'' punk rock civil war

Please don't take me wrong, don't get pissed off
But the injustice and violence that you think you can stop
Continues everyday as we sing our protest songs

Talk without action produces no results
Self-gratifying lifestyles removing any doubt
The chimes of freedom have long wrung out
In a world where direct action counts

No comments:

Post a Comment