Sunday 20 September 2020

Randy Smith selects his favourite protest songs from 2000 onwards (part 1)

  


  Randy is the guy behind the Canadian independent music project Rebel Time Records. He's spent most of his life involved in political activism. He's also someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty when I ask him to contribute to this blog. The next 8 days I'm turning the blog over to him... 


Intro: Mick was kind enough/ brave enough to ask me to do another of my long-winded lists for this blog. Thanks Mick! Somewhat vaguely he asked me to do up a "top ten of your favourite political or protest songs (with maybe a few words as to why they're so important)?" I decided to narrow it down to songs from the 2000s, with the one rule being that I not include any Rebel Time Records releases ( a rule I immediately broke, because, well, fuck my rules). Basically, these are all songs that I continually come back to, songs that I never get tired of listening to. Thematically, these are simply songs of unity, inclusion, solidarity and struggle. And, rather than having to put up with me droning on endlessly and ad nauseum, I've, where possible / needed, enlisted the help of the songwriters themselves to explain what the songs are about. Thank you all! Of course, the views and opinions expressed below are those of the author / songwriters only.

Afterboltxebike - De Que Lado Estas?

I've oft been asked by people who don't know me very well: "Hey, what sports you into?" My stock response has been and always will be: "Politics is my sport." I mean, there are similarities, analogies and parallels for sure. You've got 'parties' and 'teams' and 'sides' you've got 'us' and 'them,'you've got 'winning' and 'losing,' you've got 'Super Tuesday' and 'Super Bowl.'
 
When asked "What sport is politics?," President Obamba said  "It’s probably most like football.” Because a lot of players. A lot of specialization. A lot of hitting.” A lot of attrition. But then every once in a while you’ll see an opening. You hit the line, you get one yard. You try a play, you get sacked, now it’s like third and 15. But every once in a while — you have to punt a lot — but every once in a while you’ll see a hole and then there’s open field.”

Sounds like some of the political 'campagains' I've been involved in over the years for sure!
 
"De Que Lado Estas?" by Afterboltxebike ("anti-capitalist, anti-fascist, anti-racist, and one hundred percent communist punk from Nuevo Leon, Mexico" ) asks the simple, yet essential and all-important question, ‘Which Side Are You On?’ or, to go with the sports analogy, "Which Team Are You On?" or "Who Are You Cheering For?" Are you on Team Proletariat or Team Oppressor? For Afterboltxebike, the answer (and the way / the path down the field) is clear,  you’re either with the bosses or with the oppressed and this band is on the side of the workers/the proletariat/the exploited. Afterboltxebike knows that class struggle is the motor of history. And, it is a struggle. Afterboltxebike knows that we're going to get sacked, we're going get hit and there will be attrition, but we'll keep aiming for that 'open field.'

Diego Armando, singer / guitarist says that "Afterbolxebike was born with the idea of using music as a medium to spread marxism, anti-capitalism and anti-fascism. "What Side Are You On?" was the first song I wrote. What I was looking for was a kind of declaration of our principles so that those who listened to us would know our political ideas and there would be no doubt about what kind of band we are. It’s also an invitation to question our own participation within society. We believe that the worker continues to be the revolutionary subject capable of transforming capitalism into a superior society in which we can overcome the relationship between the exploited worker and the exploiting employer. A simple question, what side are you on? It’s enough to be able to question and answer what we are doing in our life and in this society."



An important song and an important band for me because, like with Urban Vietcong, a chance internet encounter has led to an ongoing love affair. In 2016 I saw a video for this song on facebook and was immediately hooked. I got in touch with the band, via Diego, and the rest is history. Got the 8-song "No Pasaran" cassette under our belts and the 3-song "Marxist Agitiation" 7" on the way.

What attracted me to Afterboltxebike was, of course, the music, but especially the lyrics. Songs about waking up very early in the morning to go to a shitty job,songs about ETA and YPJ/YPG,songs about anti-fascism and anti-colonialism, and, especially, a song about reading (The song "Leer")!! How many bands have done a song about the importance of reading?? For me personally, literature/books/zines are very important and a big part of my life, so it was inspiring to hear the band sing: “Read to study/ Read to learn/ Read for liberation.” Go read a book!

What also impressed me (and is very important to me) is that Afterboltxebike “walks the talk." Diego not only produces a political punk zine and makes punk documentaries, but he (and, at the time) other members of the band were active in local left-wing political organizations and struggles. Like DOA said: “talk minus action equals zero.”

And, by the way, this week I managed to get 11 out of 15 winning teams picked in the National Football League pool I'm in at work ... not bad ...




No tengo duda estoy convencido
Que mis patrones son mis enemigos
No aspiro a ser como uno de ellos
Mi fuerza esta con los obreros

Las cadenas que te tienen atado
Están en tu cabeza, están en tus manos
Nuestra trinchera te está esperando

Nuestro camino está muy claro
Revolución del proletariado
Nuestro sendero está iluminado
Por los comunistas que han luchado

¿De qué lado estas?
¿Del patrón o del proletariado?


I have no doubt, I am convinced
That the bosses are my enemies
I do not aspire to be like one of them
My strength is with the workers

The chains that have you tied
They are in your head, they are in your hands
Our struggle is waiting for you
You are with the bosses or with the exploited ones
Our way is very clear
Revolution of the proletariat
Our path is illuminated
By the Communists who have fought
What side are you on?
Of the boss or the proletariat
What side are you on?


No comments:

Post a Comment