Sunday 6 September 2020

All Ashore! - 17 Again



  Whenever I'm asked what my favourite ever songs are, my obvious choices are punk songs. Not all of them are though as I usually include Talulah Gosh in there (case in point is the Top 10 I chose on my birthday 6 years ago https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2014/11/its-my-birthday-so-today-you-get-my-top.html). Along with the likes of The Wedding Present, early My Bloody Valentine, Girls At Our Best etc they're the kind of punk influenced indie bands that have provided much enjoyment down the years. I do like that kind of indie music but either I've not been paying enough attention or it's not been as much in evidence in recent years. And then BOOM! A song that makes me think it's 1986 again. One that would have been a firm favourite back then and is one now.

  All Ashore are new to me. I know very little about them but it appears as though they're from Sheffield, are ex members of Sheffield bands such as Velodrome 2000, Plouf! and Parallelograms and they "recapture the breathless rush of fuzzy jangly lo-fi pop like Shop Assistants, Talulah Gosh and 14 Iced Bears." Other influences include Ramones, Helen Love, Television Personalities, Moldy Peaches, Buzzcocks and Bearsuit.

  They've an album on the way from Cardiff label Daytrip Records. Titled Stayin' Afloat, it's produced by Alan Smyth (who's worked with the likes of Pulp, Arctic Monkeys and The Long Blondes) and it'll be available in November on vinyl and digital download :   https://daytriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/stayin-afloat

  There's a couple of tracks already streaming, Radio Sunshine is an upbeat tambourine led shimmy shimmy delight but the real winner is the song that name checks the aforementioned Talulah Gosh. It's one for grown up twee kids everywhere. Back in the day this kind of song was gracing cassettes in the NME, now it's getting the fanboy treatment on your favourite blogs. It's called 17 Again...

No comments:

Post a Comment