Wednesday 20 May 2020

Riskee & The Ridicule - Blue Jacket



  It was only 6 months ago that no one had heard of Corvid 19. We didn't know what the Corona Virus was and we certainly didn't think our economy was going to be trashed by a flu like, invisible killer. Instead we were setting sail on the good ship UK heading away from Europe towards an exciting new tomorrow. Or we were if you ever thought Brexit was anything other than false promises and the chance for certain well to dos to keep their fortunes safely squirrelled away in shady tax havens. Watch out for that iceberg Captain Boris!

  Last year also saw the release of Body Bag Your Scene, an impressive genre straddling album from Kent band Riskee & The Ridicule (https://www.facebook.com/RiskeeandtheRidicule/). I described it as being "full of big catchy singalong choruses which despite the anger in many of the lyrics is very definitely upbeat" (https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2019/07/riskee-ridicule-millwall-brick-glasgow.html). Almost a year on and they're back with more of the same; catchy hooks, political barbs, an iron hand in a velvet fist.

  Their new single touches on both Brexit and pandemic. The lunatics have staggered out of the asylum clutching their shiny new passports into a landscape laid waste by the effects of the pandemic. Will they seek to band together with their neighbours to restore society or will they carry on regardless with Churchillian spirit and a smug sense of superiority?

  As the Down And Outs put it so well, you can have your country back cos it doesn’t mean a fucking thing to me.

  This is Blue Jacket...

Britain’s sold me a brand new Blue Jacket The sleeves are too long and the arms wrap round my back I never noticed the buckles on my brand new blue jacket I don’t know from who but I’ve got my country back An Irishman, a Scotsman and a Welshman join me in a bar We show each other memes on a screen, humour is an art My blood is half-Scottish, half-Irish, got an English beating heart My family ain’t from round here but trace us back we probably are Oh you’re a pure breed? No, you’re an inbred You’re a joke, you ain’t woke. You’ve always been dead So, come on zombie, put it on me. I’m all blotchy and now my skin's red So, I’m gonna go infect everyone, affect everything it’s an outbreak No lime in my Corona? E.U bureaucrats you’re an outrage! "Honey, I’m home! What’s for tea darling?" I feel like chlorinated chicken tonight just ain’t got the same ring Britain’s sold me a brand new Blue Jacket The sleeves are too long and the arms wrap round my back I never noticed the buckles on my brand new blue jacket I don’t know from who but I’ve got my country back You blue passport prick, have you got your country back? And your arsehole kids are gonna spout the same shit as their dad Yeah, you got past those fibs that were fed to you like broth. You took your share out of the pot now you’ll eat water from the trough. Starve piggy, oh you look so malnourished I’ve never wanted to say I told you so any less I’ll drop you like the pound and depart with a parting kiss If they ruin us we riot all day I raise your fist Britain’s sold me a brand new Blue Jacket The sleeves are too long and the arms wrap round my back I never noticed the buckles on my brand new blue jacket I don’t know from who but I’ve got my country back


1 comment: