Sunday 10 November 2019

Last Reserves - Pink Bits



  Wow! Today's song is both very impressive and very powerful. It's the new single by Last Reserves and it deals with growing up in a society in which we're bombarded with misogynistic attitudes and told what we can and can't do. It tells us that no matter what we're led to believe, we're all special in our own way, we can all be and do what we want. Whatever gender we are, we don't need to compete for validation, we can use that energy to build each other up instead. It's an angry song with a positive message and it's possibly the band's best release yet.

  Last Reserves formed in 2014 and they're from St Helens. They line up with Alice Nancy (Vocals), Jack Rothwell (Lead Guitar), Matt Bonnell (Bass Guitar) and Phil Shacklady (Drums). They list amongst their influences the likes of Sex Pistols, Dead Boys and The Stooges and you can find out more info on them here : https://www.facebook.com/LastReservesBand/

  The new single, their 2nd single this year, is available on cd for a couple of quid and it's also streaming so get yourselves over to Bandcamp and snap it up :   https://lastreserves.bandcamp.com/track/pink-bits

  It's called Pink Bits...

I’m sitting on my garden wall
Watching the girls from next door but one
Play curby in the road
They wear camo shorts, converse,
T-shirts with skulls on and LFC tops
Gerrard is the coolest one to have
Especially after that 3 all penalty win
Against AC Milan last week
I got a Dudek kit
But just because I like the song
I think I like the song more than I like the football
To be honest
Then one of the girls asks me to join in and
I say “I’m not very good at football”
And she picks up the ball and looks at me and says
“You’re not good at football
Because you’re a girly girl”
I say “I’m not!”
She says “you are. I saw you wear
a dress the other day and there’s pink bits on your trainers”
I say “I’m not a girly girl!”
But I’m already crying
Just like a girl
And I feel the shame
Rise up inside of me
And my stomach drops
As I think


Guess I’m nothing special after all
Well what a fucking shame
What a disappointment
And what the fuck’s the point
If I’m the same
As all the other girls
Weak, pathetic, fragile birds
Fuck it all
I’ll wear the skulls
Anything to prove I’m not
Exactly like the other girls
The other girls
Girls


I started getting older
And meeting loads of new people
Some girls really hated pop music
And makeup and the colour pink
Just like me
And they were really, really cool
But some other girls like summer dresses
And ABBA and fake tan
And I realised that they were pretty cool too
And I started to realise
Maybe I just wanted to be a little bit more
Like all the girls I met
And I thought


Guess there’s something special in us all
Well what a fucking shame
What a disappointment
Can’t believe I wasted all these years
On this misogynistic
Toxic and divisive shit
Well I won’t do it any more
Cause really I just wanna be
Exactly like the other girls
The other girls
Girls


I’m standing behind the bar
Watching people poke their heads in
Momentarily
Before deciding to try somewhere
With windows
There’s not that much to do
So I’m chatting to some guy around my age
Says he’s in a band
And he’s quite funny to be honest
We’re getting along well and he says
“I like you
You’re not like the other girls
Caked in makeup
Scantily clad
Tottering around in six inch heels
You’re different
You’re not like the other girls”
And I think
Hang on, mate
What do you mean
“Not like the other girls?”
I’m EXACTLY like the other girls
I’m the amalgamation of EVERY girl
I EVER thought was cool
So if YOU think I’m gonna step
On my sisters
To clamber up onto your pedestal
You can get to FUCK!



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to say
    Vocalist (Alice Nancy)
    Guiar (Jack Rothwell)
    Bass (Matt Bonnell)
    Drums (Phil Shacklady)

    "Pink Bits" is available on Spotify please check this out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    You are a Great while writing in the blogs it is awesome I liked. it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing. very good bit,
    Buy Etizolam

    ReplyDelete