Tuesday 10 September 2019

The Anxieties - Sideshow Freak

 

  The Anxieties are a garage punk 4 piece who formed in Eugene but are now based in Portland, Oregon, whose current line up features Scott Von Rocket (vocals/guitar), Travis Thoughtcrime (bass/vocals), Erik Electron (lead guitar/vocals) and Tommy Tension (drums). They list amongst their influences the likes of Adolescents, Agent Orange, Hex Dispensers, Marked Men and Sharp Objects (and if anyone knows what the hell happened to Sharp Objects and their promised 2nd album please let me know!). Their sound has been described as sounding  "like an apocalyptic mash-up of early '80s Southern Californian melodic hardcore, '90s Rip Off Records trash and a Red Bull fuelled all-night sci-fi and horror movie marathon..." Looking back in the JSPS archives I'm surprised to find they don't seem to have appeared on here before though I have featured a song by their side project, The Jabronis...   https://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.com/2015/10/jabronis-i-dont-wanna-listen-to-radio.html

  You can find more info on them here : https://www.facebook.com/theanxieties/

  They've just released a second single from their upcoming album, Mission Failure. The first single was Blank Stares (https://theanxieties.bandcamp.com/track/blank-stares-4). The album seems to have had a long gestation period but hopefully we won't have to wait much longer before it drops. You can grab the latest song, name your price, here :   https://theanxieties.bandcamp.com/track/sideshow-freak-4

  Think Tod Browning, think Ramones' Pinhead, think catchy, fun and fast and you won't be far off getting the vibe I think they were aiming for in this song. It's about a seemingly doomed relationship and it's called Sideshow Freak...

You look at me like a sideshow freak, yeah
And you treat me like a circus geek, yeah
Go ahead and point and laugh now
Someday you're gonna face my wrath now

You look at me like I'm a pinhead
And you treat me just like you want me dead
You look at me like I'm insane
Well, I look at you and I feel the same

Like a sideshow, like a sideshow freak...

You look at me like the bearded lady
Do it all the time and it drives me crazy
Think you got the answers like a fortune teller
Want to keep me locked in the cellar

Think I'm fake like a Fiji mermaid
Try to tear me down like it's some kind of crusade
Think you run the show like a ring master
This is gonna end up in disaster


No comments:

Post a Comment