Wednesday 17 April 2019

Pawns - Monuments of Faith



  I think it's fair to say the chatroom exploded when I played today's song on the latest show. It was definitely one of the best received tracks I've featured. It's by Oakland, California, band Pawns and it's definitely going to be in my best of 2019 list.

  Pawns are a dark punk (goth/anarcho/post-punk) 4 piece comprising Jenna Rose (bass), Noel Mateus (guitar), Gage Allison (vocals) and Stephen Reader (drums). They've been together since 2014 and previous releases include a couple of 7"'s and 2017 album The Gallows. Earlier this month they released a new ep, Monuments Of Faith, and it's a bit of a stunner. It's on Near Dark Records and available on 12" vinyl or digitally : https://neardarkoakland.bandcamp.com/album/monuments-of-faith-ep

  You can get more info here : https://www.facebook.com/pawnsnyc/

  Of the 3 songs on the eph, the one I'm featuring today is the title track. When I was much younger, I'd go to a pretty cool student night club called the Sugar House. My drunk younger self would brave the dancefloor to shuffle around to tunes like Temple Of Love (Sisters Of Mercy), Walk Into The Sun (March Violets), Spiritwalker (The Cult), Kick In The Eye (Bauhaus) etc. With it's stunning juxtaposition of gloomy ambience and frantic uptempo drumming this would have gone down an absolute fucking storm. Monuments Of Faith...


No comments:

Post a Comment