Saturday 16 January 2016

Knucklehead -The New Black List


    I've asked Randy Smith, of Rebel Time Records (https://rebeltimerecords.bandcamp.com), if he'd be kind enough to select a top 10 list of his favourite Canadian punk songs. His instructions are to show how great Canadian punk music is, a 10 song history lesson. No pressure Randy!

  Possibly a pointer to how his list will come out, here's a from one of his favourite bands, "a band that put out some great if somewhat unappreciated records."

  Knucklehead are a socio-political punk rock band from Calgary, Alberta, who formed in 1994 and are influenced by the likes of Social Distortion, Stiff Little Fingers and Cocksparrer. Originally a trio featuring Kyle Hegel (vocals, drums), Matt Young (bass) and Clayton MacNeill (guitar), they expanded to a 5 piece and after a couple of changes settled down with Jimmy James coming in on guitar and Eric Jablonski on drums.

  They've released 5 albums and a number of singles but today's song is the title track from 2005's The New Black List, which came out on Stumble Records and is definitely worthy of your attention......


There's a whole new world outside 
And it's getting tense 
It's not so safe anymore to voice dissent 

There's a new generation of McCarthyists
With a new black list

So do I know? No I don't know who's a patriot
Yeah do I know? No I don't know
Who's a patriot

They're not gonna stop until there's only
One last choice
They're not gonna stop until there's only
One last voice
There's a new generation of McCarthyists
With a new black list

So do I know? No I don't know who's a patriot
Yeah do I know? No I don't know
Who's a patriot
So do I know? No I don't know who's a patriot
Yeah do I know? No I don't know
Who's a patriot

Who's a patriot?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment