Friday 21 August 2015

Propagandhi - I Am A Rifle (Rebel Spell Cover)

 






























  A while back I posted a song by East Vancouver's Rebel Spell and mentioned that singer Todd Jenkins had tragically passed away following a rock climbing accident (http://justsomepunksongs.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/the-rebel-spell-last-run.html). Today I'm posting a Rebel Spell song that's been covered by Propagandhi which they did as a memorial to Todd and from which proceeds will go to the Wildlife Defence League and/or Unistoten Defence Fund.

  I doubt that there's many who haven't heard of Propagandhi so keeping the intro brief, they're from Winnipeg, Manitoba and have been together since 1986. A string of classic albums include How To Clean Everything; Less Talk, More Rock; Where Quality Is Job #1; Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes (which is my favourite of theirs); Potemkin City Limits; Supporting Caste and Failed States.

  The original version of the song that they've covered in memorial to Todd came out in 2007 on Rebel Spell's Four Songs About Freedom ep (which was released on G7 Welcoming Committee Records, a label which was founded by Propagandhi members Chris Hannah and Jordy Samolesky). You can find the original version here : https://therebelspell.bandcamp.com/album/four-songs-about-freedom. Whilst you're there, check out more great Rebel Spell music.

  Propagandhi's excellent version of the track can be found here : https://propagandhi.bandcamp.com/track/i-am-a-rifle

  This is I Am A Rifle......

Built like a dream out of the past. 
Crushing generations with a foggy mass 
of seething anger and unhealed wounds. 
I can’t make this right but don’t be confused. 

I am a rifle. I am this blockade. 
I’m banners and violence and car-bombs and riots. 
I am a rifle. I am this blockade. 
I am the fire of a thousand murdered sons. 

Don’t look to me to give the future back. 
Don’t look to me to rework the past. 
I’m only here to bring things to a head. 
You can cover your ears, it doesn’t change who I am. 

I am a rifle. I am this blockade. 
I’m banners and violence and car-bombs and riots. 
I am a rifle. I am this blockade. 
I am the fire of a thousand murdered sons. 

I haunt the Chilcotin. 
I stalk Palestine. 
I fueled Rwanda’s worst. 
I held Lasagna’s hand. 
I’m one hundred shades of hunger. 

I am a rifle. I am this blockade. 
I am the fire of a thousand murdered sons. 
I am resistance. I am your problem. 
I'm not leaving and I am your fault.


No comments:

Post a Comment