Tuesday 21 April 2015

Sweet Baby Jesus - Two Tons Of Dynamite

 
  There's occasions when I'm looking for songs to add to this blog that I might think I've pretty much heard everything by now and there surely can't be too many more great oldies to unearth. And then something comes along to make me realise that that kind of thinking is stupid and that there's always stuff that I'm so far unaware of.

  Case in point, Sweet Baby's It's A Girl album. It's recently been remastered and re released on Eccentric Pop Records much to the delight of those who remember it from back in the day. I'm not one of those. I'd been unaware of it until a few weeks ago but the re release has brought it to my attention and hopefully to the attention of plenty more of you.

  Originally called Sweet Baby Jesus and hailing from Berkeley, California, their sound is more influenced by the 60's scene (Beatles) than 70's punk (Ramones), many people seem to credit them as being one of the first pop punk acts (Buzzcocks and Undertones fans would probably disagree). They got together in 1986 and featured Dallas Denery (vocals), Matt Buenrostro (vocals/guitar), Crispy Jim (bass) and Mr. T Experience frontman Dr. Frank (drums). Crispy Jim and Dr. Frank were replaced by Richie Bucher and Sergie Loobkoff before the release of It's A Girl (in 1989). It was their only album, but it's still worshipped today by those lucky enough to have caught it first time around.

  They split up around the time of the album release, there was work done on a follow up, Submarine Races, but nothing was ever released. A one off reunion for 2008's Insubordination Fest has been (so far) their only re emergence.

  There's a few songs that could have featured below but the one I've plumped for is Two Tons Of Dynamite.....


She's got everything I need.
She's satisfaction guaranteed.
I want to be with her.

And when I'm feeling all alone,
feeling like I've got no home,
I turn my thoughts to her.

Like two tons of dynamite 
she blows my mind,
yeah she's out of sight.
Kisses just like cherry bombs, 
I want to keep her in my arms. Wow!

One and one and one is two, 
I guess my brain has come unglued.
I want to be with you.

And I would be so happy now 
if you would only make a vow and say,
say you love me too.

Like two tons of dynamite, 
you blow my mind, 
yeah you're out of sight.
Kisses just like cherry bombs, 
I want to keep you in my arms.

One and one and one is two, 
I guess my brain has come unglued.
I want to be with you. 

And I would be so happy now 
if you would only make a vow and say,
say you love me too, say you love me too,
say you love me too, say you love me too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment